A moment with
Ellen von Unwerth
A glimpse into the mind of a fashion photographer, in 20 questions or less : « A moment with Ellen von Unwerth ».
By Patricia Nagy
For this inaugural interview, we shine a light on model-turned photographer Ellen von Unwerth, whose fabulously sexy photographs have graced the pages of Vogue, Elle, Vanity Fair, Interview and i-D, among others. This month sees the re-release of her book « Fraulein, » published by Taschen in 2009 as a Collector’s Edition, and now made available for a larger audience to finally indulge in.
1. What memories do you recall from the first (personal) pictures you took?
I was surprised how nice and magic it looked, compared to reality
2. Do you remember what your first camera was?
It was a minox.
3. If you weren't a fashion photographer, what career would you have pursued?
4. How has your style evolved in the last ten years?
It hasn't changed that much, I am still always looking for a REAL moment .
5. Do you remember an almost impossible shoot to produce?
We were on an Oceanliner
6. Do you have any traditions when you begin a shoot?
Music helps to relax the atmosphere.
7. What “dream” project haven't you been able to achieve yet, if you can share it with us?
I guess a movie, can't say about what it is about so
8. What do you like to shoot on your down time?
Anything what strikes me, weird or beautiful people, animals, the sea.
9. What is the camera you never leave home without, on off-duty mode?
A little digital snappy, yes, I did move to digital.
10. Do you see yourself evolving into moving film?
I am working on a project.
11. Who was your first artistic influence?
I always loved movies, especially old ones from the 50’s and silent movies.
12. Who are your heroes in real life?
People who always renew themselves and never give up.
13. Where do you look for new ideas and inspiration?
It can be a movie, or a real scene of life, music and dreams
14. What was the last great exhibition you saw?
I saw a great exhibition of Nan Goldin in NY 2 days ago.
15. Fiction or non-fiction?
16. What sound or noise do you love?
The pop of an opening of a champagne bottle
17. What sound or noise do you hate?
18. Champagne or Cosmopolitan?
19. Name a title that you would like to have for this interview.
A moment with Ellen von Unwerth